Friday 23 December 2016

What's in a Name

Happy Friday and happy Christmas in advance to you. I got into Lagos yesterday to be with my husband for the Christmas break and while I was in the bus the idea of this post popped into my head.
     Names are given to people in order to set them apart, make them unique and cave a form of identity for them. Some end up with names they like, others not so lucky and some indifferent.
   I remember listening to one of my favorite Muslim scholar Mufti menk`s sermon where he said it was the responsibility of the parents to pick the best name for their child. A name that would be nice and not have a disgusting or funny meaning in another language other than the parent's language. I grew up knowing that my name is Rafiat Abosede, Omolabake, Olatorera Akinwande . Infact my dad kept a card containing all the names so one would come up tomorrow to say ha! Raffy your name is something something.lol.
 I got a new sense of direction and purpose when I discovered the meaning of my name and I started to feel like there is nothing I wouldn't be able to conquer with a name like that and sometimes when I am down and I need the confidence I can't help but call my name to my hearing so I get the needed push to conquer and trust mi before I say jack, I have gotten the needed energy and I go ahead to crush it...
     I am married and I defiantely want kids someday so it does put a little pressure on me to think of the best names for our children. Chai so far all the names me and Mr M have come up with doesn't seem to sit down well with both of us. Is either I like it or he hates it or vice versa but while I ponder let me know if you love, like, hate or are indifferent about your birth name. Til I talk to you again ....stay blessed and have a good weekend.
The added name here is that of Mr M.

My birth name.

PS: Mr M made this with our scrabble board while were still waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Like I am just seeing dis blog for d first time and I Must say I am proud of u girl. I love my name, my name gives me so much joy and happiness. My name means Bright Morning Star. Like I am just a bright star whereever I find myself and I am forever grateful to my parents for giving me d name dey gave me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear....am grateful my star

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment

Being an Army Wife..

Photo Credit - Pinterest Mr M works for one of the military agencies and i always knew it won't be easy being his wife  because fro...